NA Standing Committee on Industries and Production meets
Thursday, 25th November, 2021
NATIONAL ASSEMBLY SECRETARIAT
25th November, 2021
19th meeting of the Standing Committee on Industries and Production of the National Assembly was held today i.e. 25th November, 2021 at 02:00 p.m., in Committee Room No.7, Parliament House Islamabad, under the chairmanship of Mr. Sajid Hussain Turi, MNA.
2. The Committee discussed The Export Processing Zones Authority (Amendment) Bill, 2019, Mr. Amjad Ali Khan, Mover of the Bill explained the salient features of the Bill. The Secretary M/o Industries and Production briefed the procedure for making the rules by the Federal Government. The Ministry of Industries and Production gave a presentation, wherein, they have stated that EPZA has forwarded a copy of the proposed amendment Bill to Legal Counsel for views/comments. Who have advised that the amendment Bill-2019, as proposed by the Honorable MNAs (Private Members Bill) in the National Assembly may not serve any purpose and may to the contrary and can create legal ambiguity. After detailed discussion the Committee decided that Minister and Secretary Law and Justice may be invited in the next meeting.
3. The Committee discussed the issues being faced by the farmers due to shortage of Di Ammonium Phosphate (DAP) fertilizer and increase in prices. The Committee expressed its grave concerns over the increase of price and shortage of DAP fertilizer. He briefed the Committee about the subsidy and monitoring procedure. The Members were of the opinion that subsidy on fertilizer (DAP) should be negotiated with importers instead of retailers or shopkeepers. He further informed that a meeting was held today, headed by the Hon. Prime Minister regarding to address these issues. The Committee unanimously recommended that direct subsidy may be provided on fertilizer (DAP) and price control mechanism should also be defined to facilitated the farmers. The Committee also recommended that subsidy may be provided on target basis by selection of crops.
4. The Committee also discussed the matters pertaining to Utility Stores Corporation regarding it functions and problems being faced to USC management due to complicated process of the rules of Public Procurement Regulatory Authority (PPRA) for procurement of essential items. The Committee recommended that Utility Stores may be given a similar tax emption, which was enjoying by the CSD shops in cantonments premises.
5. The Committee deferred the Calling Attention Notice No. 58 regarding increase in the prices of food essential by the Utility. The Committee deferred the Starred Question No. 6 regarding all Laws and Rules pertaining to Ministry of Industries and Production and its attached departments under Rules of Business, 1973. The Committee deferred the matter regarding the booking of MG Vehicles.
6. The meeting was attended by, MNAs Mr. Nasir Khan Musa Zai, Mr. Muhammad Akram, Sahibzada Sibghatullah, Ms. Shandana Gulzar Khan, Ms. Sajida Begum, Ms. Aliya Hamza Malik, Mr. Usama Qadri, Rana Muhammad Ishaq Khan, Mr. Riaz ul Haq, Mr. Abdul Rehman Kanju, Mahar Irshad Ahmed Khan and Mr. Amjad Ali Khan, Mover of the bill on video link besides the senior officers from Ministry of Industries & Production.